Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And the Nominees Are....

Sunday, February 26th ,is one of my {favorite} nights of the year, Oscar Sunday. I have watched the Oscars every year since I was 6. I love the clothes, the thrill, the anxiousness as the nominees are read & I just get a lump in my throat as the winner chokes out their acceptance speech through elated tears of joy & surprise....it's just awesome....and I would be a liar if I said that I haven't practiced my own acceptance speeches - I'll use one of them someday.

Since I think it would be so much fun to have an Oscar party with all of you, Nan & I have decided to have a virtual one. Full of fashion, flair, favorite moments & FOOD.

Be sure to cast your online Oscar Ballot and choose who you think should win the Oscars on Sunday night. Go to My Picks & make your votes & make sure you click "Play with Friends" so we can compare. {If you are not friends with She Said do it now!!} It's a tough ballot this year, I think, because there are a lot of "normal" or mainstream movies that are up for nominations.

Michelle's Best Film Prediction: I am tempted to go with "Tree of Life". I haven't seen it, but it seems to fit the usual Oscar mold, but I am going with "The Help". I think it was a great adaptation (very few films can get that credited to them) and really strong performances.

Michelle's Favorite Oscar Moment: I actually have two. There has been many a speech & many a sketch that I have enjoyed, but these two have stuck with me:
1. When Roberto Benigni won the Oscar in Best Foreign Film for "Life Is Beautiful". I am sure that everyone who wins an Oscar feels like standing on chairs and taking their bows. The excitement and the beautiful speech he gives really encompasses, for me, a true Oscar moment. {I also really love how the entire audience is excited with him & how Stephen Spielberg gives him a hand to balance with.}


2. The speeches that Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova gave when they won Best Song for "Falling Slowly". I still get choked up watching it. They were the total underdogs and they won it! Not only do I say Amen to Glen's "Make Art", but to date Marketa is the only person who has been invited back onto the stage to give a speech, and Thank you Jon Stewart for doing that, it's a beautifully humble speech....just love it.



What Food Would Michelle Bring to the Oscar Party:
to honor  "Money Ball" (ballpark fare) & "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" (NY fare) I would make Cracker Jack by the Brown Eyed Baker & Copy Kat's Mall Pretzels
to honor "The Artist" (a black & white movie) and "Extremely Loud" - again because these are famous in NY - Annie's Eats Black & White cookies

Nan's Picks
I also enjoy the Oscars, but I don't watch them as religiously as Michelle does.  I've always wanted to have an Oscars party, though -- in fact, Michelle and I talked a couple of times in high school about hostessing one -- so I'm glad we can have a virtual party with all of our She Said friends!!

Best Picture - I'm going with "The Help" all the way!  I loved the movie and the book is even better.  If you haven't seen/read it yet, don't delay!  Do it right now!  I do think "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" has a fair shot, though.

Favorite Oscar Moment - I have to agree with Michelle on this one -- definitely Roberto Benigni jumping around.  Another silly moment (but still dear to my heart) was when "Titanic" won best picture and James Cameron crowed, "I'm the king of the world!!"  Michelle and I both (along with several other friends) saw "Titanic" in the theater multiple times and were mildly obsessed with it (and Leo, of course...*swoon*).

Food for the Oscar Party: I like what Michelle's bringing! :)  I would bring a chocolate pie like this one in honor of "The Help" and a batch of butterbeer to represent "Harry Potter".
What about you??  What are your picks?

Infographic: All about Oscar and the Academy Awards

Photobucket

2 comments:

Janet said...

Chocolate pie? Three helpings??????? I hope you are careful with the ingredients ;-)

Nchristner said...

I think you need to follow this up with commentary on who won...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting