Wednesday, December 15, 2010

List of Three...Christmas Movies

It hit me this morning that I have not popped in my traditional "White Christmas" and it's December 13th!!!! I need to get on that...(along with other Christmas preparations!). So here ya go my List of Three Christmas movies:

White Christmas: There is nothing like the combination of Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye & Vera Ellen to make you feel all warm inside!!  (I know this is your favorite too, but I had to take it because I have a sneaky suspicion that you will take Christmas in Connecticut!)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: The classic cartoon version please! The live-action Jim Carrey one is okay too, but I was raised watching this cartoon every year. And while you can now get it on DVD I personally prefer the fuzzy VHS version complete with snippets of commercials.

Frosty the Snowman: The 1969 cartoon version that is narrated by Jimmy Durante. This was on the same tape as How the Grinch Stole Christmas so naturally you just pop in the *VHS and watch the whole thing. There have been many remakes of this cartoon, but none of them hold a candle to this version. Ya got to love the magician "Messy...messy...messy..."

*In case you were wondering the VHS had: The Grinch, Frosty and the 1985 musical version of Alice in Wonderland, the one with Carol Burnett, Carol Channing, Sammy Davis Jr. & Ringo Starr.......oh the memories!!!

I also have a cherished VHS tape of children's Christmas shows, and half of the fun is watching the very old commercials!  It has The Grinch, Frosty, The Muppet Christmas special, Rudolph, The Town That Forgot Christmas, and one of my personal favorites, which will soon be revealed. :)  I have many Christmas movies that I love, but these would be my top three:

Christmas in Connecticut: You were right!  I grew up watching this 1940s classic and love it.  Thanks to this movie, my family regularly says things like "hunky dunky" and "the old magoo".  Barbara Stanwyck hosts a lonesome (and handsome!) sailor, played by Dennis Morgan, for Christmas.  She writes a column for a major women's magazine and has a reputation for being America's best wife, mother, and cook, but in reality, she's none of those things.  Such a great movie!

A Christmas Story: Another family favorite.  I have probably seen this 50 times at a minimum and I still laugh every time.  Ralphie Parker's family kind of feels like an extension of my own at Christmastime.  This is another one that takes place near World War II.  Is there something about the War that makes Christmas movies better?

The Night Before Christmas: This is a musical cartoon version featuring mice.  It may sound strange, but it's just not Christmas unless I have watched and sung along with it!  Santa Claus gets mad at the town of Junctionville and decides not to visit them, so the local clockmaker builds a musical clock to serenade Santa as he flies overhead.  So fun!

What are YOUR favorite Christmas movies?

Photobucket

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love that mouse cartoon! I finally found it on Youtube this year :)

Dua said...

Hi, great reading your blog

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting