Tuesday, January 18, 2011

List of Three...Comfort Food!




Cold winter weather creates the perfect opportunity for indulging in some of our favorite comfort foods.  Whether it's a favorite childhood food or something recently discovered, everyone has a few recipes that work wonders when it comes to nourishing both body and soul.  Although there are many things I would classify as being "comfort food", here are the first three that came to mind.

 1- Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.  Come on, who doesn't have a memory involving this?  It HAS to mixed with milk, not water.  My mom always made it his way; it turns the broth yellow and gives it a richer taste.  Add some oyster crackers, and life is good.

2- Spaghetti.  You may find it strange (and Michelle will probably shudder when she reads this), but I love spaghetti with just butter and salt on it.  Growing up, this was my go-to comfort food when I was sick.  A bowl of spaghetti while watching Disney's Cinderella made just about everything better.

3- Chocolate cake.  I have a one-pan recipe that my mom makes.  It's super easy, delicious, and perfect when paired with a glass of milk.

Ho!Ho! Comfort food I think I could ride that train all year long! There are so many different dishes that I can associate with comfort food, but I'll try to whittle it down to my top three:

1- Grilled Cheese Sandwhiches, preferrably with some tomato soup. I really like this on cold, rainy days. There is something about toasted, buttered bread and gooey melted cheese that makes you feel oh so good. In fact when I was preggers I craved them so much that one night I couldn't decide between grilled cheese and hamburgers that Mr. S made me a hamburger with grilled cheese sandwhiches as buns....how is that for love, comfort and ...calories!

2 - Spaghetti. If anyone ever asks me if I could only have one food for the rest of my life this would be the one! Now I don't share the same love for butter and salt, but I do love my Dad's tomato sauce. It's actually made me a spaghetti sauce prude. I'm very picky about my spaghetti sauce. Whenever I go home this is what I request - homemade spaghetti sauce please!

3- Macaroni & Cheese. I think if you want to comfort me just give me melted cheese!! A small talent of mine is that I can eat a whole box of Mac & Cheese by myself, it's true. But I have found a new...little more healthy love, in homemade macaroni & cheese. I'll have to share the recipe with you in another post, but it's oh so good and I could eat the whole cassorole dish and not feel guilty - a little gluttonus, but not guilty!

What are your three favorite comfort foods?
Photobucket 

3 comments:

Nchristner said...

Coming up with just three is hard. Mine would have to be:

1. Ramen Noodles, I can never live it down on how I would pronounce this with a stuffy nose, which was often when I was little.

2. I have to agree with Mac and Cheese, I can eat a whole box myself too!

3. Tamales! Yumm. These homemade goodies always make my Chritmas season the best.

Anna said...

Oh definitely mac and cheese (homemade not the box)--the recipe I uses cuts the fat by using reduced fat cream cheese and pureed cauliflower in the white sauce--helps the cheddar go further and the taste is still awesome (it's in Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook).

Other comfort foods. I'm with you on the chocolate cake.

And ice cream. Good quality. My current favorite---Haagen Daaz dark chocolate. It's so satisfying I can really savor a few spoonfuls if I'm feeling like I have self control or....I could eat the whole pint if I wanted :)

Cline Family said...

Will you share the Chocolate cake recipe?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting