Friday, June 1, 2012

Raise your glass to Flavored Waters!


Have you noticed all of flavored water pins floating around on Pinterest lately? Well I have and in fact pinned a few myself. I'm pretty bad when it comes to drinking the daily 8 glasses we should consume so I thought that maybe spiking it with some citrus {I already love limes in my water} would help me hydrate a bit more.

I started pinning, I started blog trolling and today I'm going to share some of the recipes I have found & tips that help make the most out of your flavored water.

Tips:
- Always use ice! A good glass of water should always be chilled...who wants to drink warm or room temperature cucumbers?
- To get a stronger flavor out of your citrus or herbs squeeze them and/or crush them before putting them in the pitcher. It brings the flavors out.
- The sky is the limit with the combinations of what you can put in your water!! It has been amazing pouring over all these flavored water recipes...there are so many!! And each one is different or can be tailored for your taste. So get creative and try different combinations.
- Flavored waters do have an expiration date. My first pitcher of flavored water was good for three refills {i.e. just refilling it with water and ice and keeping the ingredients in}. Any longer than three the water starts to become bitter and not as strongly flavored.
- It's a great sugar free drink to serve at parties!! Seriously no sugar added in any of these recipes. Any sweetness comes naturally from fruit!
- You can add some club soda or sparkling water to give your water some pizazz.

Recipes:

Lemon & Cucumber {Michelle's FAVORITE!!!}
I think I'm going to be drinking this water all summer long - who knew cucumbers could taste so good in water?!?

1 Lemon
1/2 Cucumber

Slice them thin and put at the bottom of the pitcher. Cover with ice cubes & water till it fills the pitcher.
I've heard that basil or mint are fun herbal additions to this....definitely going to try it!

Watermelon Basil Water {by Nancycreative.com}
You will be surprised with how refreshing this combination is. The basil is amazing!

2 Cups Seedless watermelon, cubed
10 Basil leaves
1 half-gallon of Water

Pour water over watermelon & basil. Chill for 2 hours & serve over ice with a sprig of basil.

Fruit Water {by Nancycreative.com}
This water sounds delicious & looks gorgeous!!! I think it would be perfect for a party.

1 each of the following fruits: apple, lemon, orange, pear
4 large strawberries
Handful of raspberries
Handful of mint leaves
1 half-gallon of water
Cut large slices or thin wedges of each fruit; place them in a large glass pitcher and add cold water. Refrigerate 2 hours and serve over ice in tall glasses.

Sweet Pineapple Strawberry Spa Water {by myspawaterbook.com}
This water is naturally sweet AND the fruit colors the water pink!

1 Pineapple, skinned, cored & sliced
1 carton of Strawberries, cleaned & sliced

Layer fruit at the bottom of the drink dispenser & cover with water.

Flavored Water {by Shewearsmanyhats.com}
I love citrus in my water. Need ideas for the "optional citrus"? I would suggest oranges and grapefruit.

1 gallon fresh water
3-4 slices of lemon
3-4 slices of lime
3-4 slices of other citrus (optional)
3-4 slices of cucumber

Add all citrus and cucumber slices to water. Refrigerate until ready to serve

Strawberry Blueberry Fizz {by nestofposies-blog.com}
She loves serving - and creating her drinks - in mason jars. She also has a recipe for Orange Cilantro water that I want to try.

Fill a glass:
3/4 full of sparkling water
Strawberries (4) Blueberries (small hand full), blended
Ice

Blend Strawberries & blueberries in a blender & add the sparkling water. Serve over ice.


Do you have a flavored water recipe? Please share!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting