Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Strawberry season is upon us! And whether you are eating them in the sun, rain (or today) snow! Somewhere there is a sunny place where they are growing & it makes me hope for summer to come even quicker! This is my Mother-In-Law's recipe & the moment that I tasted it I knew it was a salad that I was going to make for the rest of my life!
Four simple ingredients:
Strawberries
Spinach
Carmelized Nuts {almonds, walnuts, whatever you want}
Poppyseed Dressing

psst! I'm not giving measurements because I kinda eyeball everything...I'm that kind of a cook. Also, it's not hard to measure out what you need for this recipe. So be brave with me. Take caution to the wind. If you are making it for a crowd, use the whole bag. Making it for one? pull out the portion that you want - that easy!!


 Washing the Strawberries. I learned from Food Network that strawberries are very porus. So if you put them under the water they will take that in and the taste will be watered down. So to properly clean a strawberry: take a moistened papertowel and wipe the strawberry down. Then cut into slices.

Carmelized nuts. I've used almonds and walnuts in this salad before (whatever I have on hand), but I think pecans would be really good too! I would tell you how I USED to carmelize nuts, but I found a much better way on Our Best Bites. Katie & Sara really have it down and from now on I'm carmelizing my nuts that way!

The Dressing. My Mother in Law uses Briannas Poppy Seed dressing (the one with the peach on the front of it). Katie from Dishn' & Dishes has a great Poppyseed Dressing recipe that I'm definatley keeping in my recipe box.I'm not a big mayo-based dressing eater and this one is onion based -don't judge just make it & you'll love it!!  

Combine the spinach, strawberries & nuts together and then pour the dressing ontop to coat!
There ya go. A salad bowl full of summer. Hopefully we will see it in the weather soon!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting