Sunday, October 31, 2010

Easy Skirt -- No Pattern!

I found this fabulous fabric at Jo-Ann's over the weekend; it has a burnt orange background with a cream flower print and is perfect for fall.  It was in the clearance section for $3/yard and there was only a yard left, so I snatched it up.  I had intended to make the 20 Minute Skirt using the tutorial at Grosgrain, but one of the sealed edges on my fabric had printing on it, so it wasn't going to work.  I decided to make a basic gathered skirt instead.  It was so easy and took me about an hour (it would have been less if my machine hadn't jammed so much).  Best of all, I didn't even need a pattern!  I don't have a step-by-step tutorial for it, but it's really simple.

Please excuse the blinding whiteness of my legs :)

After washing and ironing my fabric, I hemmed the bottom.  I used the raw edges for the top and bottom of the skirt and the sealed edges for the side seam; the fabric was 45 inches wide, so it was able to wrap around me and still have a little bit of fullness.  I held up the hemmed fabric to my body and decided how long I wanted the skirt to be, then marked where I wanted the waist to sit; I cut the fabric about an inch above this point.  I folded the top over and made a casing for my 1/4-inch elastic, and then wrapped the elastic around my waist to see how much I needed; I subtracted about 4 inches from that so that the skirt would be sure to fit snugly at the waist and not fall off.  I threaded the elastic through and stitched it in place at both ends of the casing.  The last step was to fold the skirt in half with right sides together, sew the side seam, and press it.  Voila!  A quick and easy skirt for $3!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting