Sunday, October 3, 2010

You're on a Desert Island...

During a recent trip to visit Mr. W's family, we got into a discussion about which one book and movie we would take if we were going to be stranded alone on a desert island.  I think these kinds of conversations are really fun and interesting, but at the same time, I struggle a little bit with my answers.  Even though I know it's supposed to just be a fun "What if?" game, I always feel like I should say that I'd take a religious book and movie or some sort of how-to book; if I am going to be stranded alone, I'd want to be able to nourish my spirit or figure out how to survive, right?  But isn't this game just supposed to be for fun, too?  A chance to find out what types of entertainment other people like?  I know I can't be the only person who thinks like that, so here's how this is going to work: Assuming that you are already taking all of the religious/how-to/whatever materials that you'd need, what three books and three movies would you take purely for entertainment purposes?

Nancy:
Books
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster -- I've read it so many times that  it's like an old friend
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott -- Ditto on the number of times read.  Plus, it's really long and would take awhile to read
Anne of Green Gables -- I love Anne; always have, always will
Movies
Anne of Green Gables, parts 1 and 2 -- This counts as one movie because it's my game and I get to make up the rules :)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- "Goin' courtin', goin' courtin'..."
A Christmas Story OR Christmas in Connecticut (The old one with Barbara Stanwyck) -- The two best Christmas movies ever made!

Michelle: Oh my, I had to really think about this one. I remember when I was younger and played this game (on really long car rides) that I would always say I would bring War & Peace by Tolstoy reasoning, "because it's the longest book ever written." Now that I'm older I know that A) It's not the longest book (according to wikipedia: written in the English language Marienbad My Love by Mark Leach is the longest with 17 million words) and B) I'm really not that interested in reading it.
So here I go with my list.....so hard to just pick three of each!!
Books
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Maybe in a later post I'll explain why I care for this book so much, but in short I love that it make you ponder about if what you may want might not be the best thing for you.
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Bette Smith - Read it when I was young and it has really stuck with me. Would love to have the time to read it again!
Physicians Desk Reference...hollowed out - Just kidding!!
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows fun and sweet. It reminds me alot of Daddy Long Legs.
Movies
Moulin Rouge -  I think ....well know that before long I would be acting it out on that desert island
Pride & Prejudice- I would take the BBC version because I would have the time to watch the whole thing
You've Got Mail - I just watch this one over and over (and over according to Mr. S) I just find it completely charming!

Now the game is open to you all! What books & movies would you bring?
Photobucket

3 comments:

Nchristner said...

This is too hard! There are too many to choose from!
Books:
I love the book Phantom (a version of Phantom of the Opera, I think I have read it 50 times), Eclipse (sorry, but it is my favorite), Wicked.
Movies:
Wizard of Oz
Phantom of the Opera
Pride and Prejudice-with Kira, I can watch this over and over!

Jessie said...

Hmm... this is tough!

Books--
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society
Chronicles of Narnia series (if I can only pick one, I pick the Magician's Nephew)
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Movies--
Mary Poppins
While You Were Sleeping

(Is it weird that I can't think of a third movie I like enough to watch over and over and over?)

SheSaid said...

Natalie - I almost listed the Kira Knightly version of P&P, too! I love it and always cry at the end. :) - Nan

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting